Mastering complex medical terms can be hard. UMHS Interpreter Services' Medical Terminology and Body Systems course makes it easier.
This 40-hour course is ideal for medical interpreters, medical professionals, and anyone interested in learning the basics of medical science. The course teaches the Word Building Technique, which helps you decipher medical terms by dividing them into three basic parts: the prefix, root and suffix. By learning common prefixes, suffixes, and root words, you can easily make sense of even the most complex terms. It’s a quick, efficient and amazingly easy way to learn medical terminology.
Each class also covers a different body system, including terms and phrases used during specific appointments, diagnoses, tests and procedures. The course also gives an overview of the basics of Anatomy, Physiology, Clinical science, some Pharmacology. The course includes weekly homework, tests, games, role playing, student presentations and a final exam that students must pass to receive a Certificate of Completion.
"This course was one of the most memorable, informative, and enjoyable courses I've taken in my life! Thank you for your outstanding knowledge, teaching, and patience." - Bayan A., Fall 2013 class
Medical Terminology and Body Systems is open to everyone. It is language neutral, and all materials and instructions are presented in English. If you're a medical interpreter, the course is an ideal way to prepare for the National Certification exam and/ or to earn continuing education hours.
The cost of this course is $325.00 (US). Books and lunch are included.
Medical Terminology & Body Systems is accredited for 35 instructional hours by the Certification Commission for Healthcare Interpreters (CCHI).
Date, Time, and Location
- Spring 2014: Wednesdays, April 2 - June 4, 2014 from 8:30am - 1:00pm at UMHS Interpreter Services, 2025 Traverwood Drive, Suite A4, Ann Arbor, MI 48105
- Fall 2014: Thursdays, October 16 - November 13, 2014 from 8:30am - 5:00pm at UMHS Interpreter Services, 2025 Traverwood Drive, Suite A4, Ann Arbor, MI 48105
Cancellations will be permitted four or more weeks prior to the start of a training course without incurring a fee. Due to the cost of establishing, holding, and refilling participant slots, along with the associated costs of language assessments and course materials, the following cancellation fee schedule applies:
• For 2 to 4 weeks prior to the start of a training course, a canellation fee of 25% of the training course price will be assessed.
• Between 8-13 days prior to the start of a training course, a cancellation fee of 50% of the training course price will be assessed.
• Within 7 days of the start of a training course, a cancellation fee of 75% of the training course price will be assessed.
• No show at first day of training course will incur a cancellation fee of 100% of training course price.
Questions about UMHS-ISP Medical Terminology and Body Systems course? Contact Rita Galin at firstname.lastname@example.org (please put Medical Terminology Class in the subject line).